After the skin was clean they hung the pig by it's hind legs from a tree and gutted it.
After the insides we cleaned out they removed teh skin and fat layers. That was saved and sent to be cooked. cracking. Some say yummy some say not. I did not care for it but it sure did remind me of my grandparents. I can remember as a child them eatting it. :) happy memories. 
They waist nothing not even the head or tail. Yes that is the tail laying next to the pigs snout.
The next process is to cut the meat up and put it in a bowl to be washed and cleaned. It was then cut into smaller pieces, bagged and placed in the freezer.
At the end of the day we did eat some of the fresh pig and it was good. Just in case you were wondering if Niki and I were there when they slaughtered it, yes we were and Niki was a trooper. However I did get a little squeemish (sp?) she says I looked like I was going to loose it. But as soon as the intitial stab was made and the pig let out the first squeal I was ok.
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Friday and Saturday part 1
This is what we get to sleep under. It helps us so we don't get bit by the bugs. This is my first time sleeping under one, I had thought that you would be hotter but you aren't. And it really helps.
This is Mr. Pig, no they did not call him that I just did. On Friday morning we got up at 5 am to watch him become our next meal. So if you have a weak stomache do NOT scroll down. We have pictures of most of the process. It was not nearly as gross as I was expecting but some may find it unpleasant to view.
Here is where they tied the pig to the tree then located the jugular vein. They pierced it with a machete and let it bleed, catching the blood in a pan.
After an hour or two they layed it on some boards and covered it with dried banana leaves and lit it on fire.
As the fire burnt down they used large spoons to scrape the hair off of the skin.
If the hair did not scrape off the first time they put more fire on and scape more until all of the hair was off and the skin turned from white to yellow in color.
After all of the hair was removed they move the pig to another area (on a pile of sticks) to wash the skin clean.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment